Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

On the last day of my vacation, I attempted a lunch that wasn't soup - I made my first actual batch of fried chicken.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

2 cups buttermilk
6 garlic cloves, smashed
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 cup assorted chopped fresh herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, and thyme)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 4%frac12; lb fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
3 cups vegetable shortening
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • Whisk first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken; cover and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.
  • Melt vegetable shortening in a large cast-iron skillet. Arrange a deep-fry thermometer in skillet so bulb is submerged. Heat over medium heat until shortening reaches 325°.
  • Meanwhile, mix flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne in a large brown paper bag. Drain chicken, leaving some herbs still clinging. Season generously with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, add chicken to bag, roll top over to seal, and shake well to coat chicken. Let chicken stand in bag 1 minute; shake again.
  • Fry chicken in skillet until golden brown and cooked through, 10-15 minutes per side. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Repeat with second batch of chicken.
Unfortunately, this recipe was a little disappointing - it wasn't as flavorful as I was expecting. That doesn't say much, when my standard is Popeye's Spicy Fried Chicken, but I was amazed at how easy it was to prepare. I couldn't tell you what I was expecting. Now, I will tell you, and I apologize if it disgusts you, that I also fried up the onions that were in the buttermilk mixture with the chicken overnight, and they had a nice bit of zing to them. Tom didn't think I had fried the chicken long enough, and that it was underdone. I can't say I agree with that assessment, because I cooked the chicken for at least ten minutes on each side, and more judging by the overdone parts on the skin. Even though the chicken didn't taste bad (Nutmeg enjoyed it thoroughly), I don't think I'll try this recipe again - I think I'd rather try a Popeye's clone recipe.

No comments: