Went back to the IFT. I won a Fitbit Flex at a Cooking with Science demo, but ended up giving it away to one of Huber's salespeople - I already have a Fitbit One. I finished walking about half of the show, and I'm planning on hanging out at the booth tomorrow.
During the walk to dinner, I was able to log three geocaches (1, 2, 3). Dinner was at The Gage. The group I was with shared started of P.E.I. Mussels, Loaded Shishito Peppers and Berber-Spiced Scallops. Then, since they're known for their game, I had their Venison Burger.
It was delicious, but way too much food.
I then made my way to the IFT. After registering and checking out the booth, I realized that I was two hours early for the Expo, so I decided to find a nearby geocache. I still had an hour left after that, so I hung around the booth until the Expo opened.
It was huge! I was only able to see about six rows of booths, and there are many, many more to experience. One of the high points - I met Amy and Maya, the Sweet Scientists who won the Amazing Race!
After the Expo closed, Nolan took me out to dinner at the Chicago Chop House. I had Lobster Bisque, the Dry-Aged Bone-In Tomahawk (it's a ribeye), and we shared creamed spinach and asparagus with hollandaise.
I had Oysters Rockefeller, New England Clam Chowder, and the Steel-Head Trout served Oscar-style (with Red Alaskan King Crab, asparagus and cajun mustard hollandaise).
Dessert was a shared experience - "The Meaning of Life."
And an espresso!
Creamy Cheesecake DipI must say, I was a little disappointed in this dish. It wasn't as sweet as I thought a dessert-type dish should be. Maybe because I used fresh orange juice?
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Food Should Taste Good™ blueberry brown rice crackers, as desired
- In mixer with paddle attachment (or hand mixer), beat cream cheese and cream until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally with spatula. Add brown sugar, and continue to beat. Add vanilla, orange peel, orange juice and salt, beating until completely combined.
- Serve with crackers.
Buffalo Chicken Pasta SaladOkay, so this dish was a big hit. People loved it. But I had to make a substitution. I couldn't find the Suddenly Salad creamy macaroni salad mix, so I fudged it with a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese "Buffalo Cheddar" flavor and a small can of Green Giant Sweet Peas.
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Suddenly Salad™ creamy macaroni salad mix
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 bag (9 oz) chopped romaine
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 oz)
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat 2 quarts water to boiling over medium-high heat. Add uncooked pasta (from Suddenly Pasta Salad box); cook at medium boil 12 minutes. Drain; rinse with cool water, then drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix ranch dressing, wing sauce and seasoning (from Suddenly Pasta Salad box). Add chicken and cooled pasta; toss to coat.
- Arrange romaine on large platter. Top with pasta mixture, followed by carrots and blue cheese.
Greek Tossed Pasta SaladThis dish turned out really well, and I received many compliments on it.
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Suddenly Salad® Caesar pasta salad mix
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small cucumber, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, slices cut in half
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese (1 cup)
- 1 can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on box. Meanwhile, in large bowl, stir together seasoning mix, cold water and oil.
- Add drained pasta and remaining ingredients to seasoning mixture. Toss with croutons and Parmesan topping (from salad mix). Serve immediately, or refrigerate.
Don't tell, but even though I found this one today, I'll log it on July 17, so that I can get the souvenir for finding a D5/T5 cache. I know it's cheating, but I've got a busy schedule...
***UPDATAE 07/17/15*** I logged this cache and received the Let's Get Extreme souvenir.