Thursday, February 9, 2012

Popovers

Ever since seeing popovers in the Food Network magazine several months ago, I’ve wanted to try them out. Wanda sent me an article from the Real Simple magazine, which put trying them out into motion.

Popovers

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1½ cups whole milk
  • 4 large eggs
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Brush the cups of a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with butter.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, eggs, butter, and salt until only a few lumps remain (do not overmix).
  3. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups and bake until puffed and a deep golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. (Do not open the oven door before 30 minutes or the popovers will collapse. Remove 1 popover to check that the underside is browned.) Serve immediately.
I’m surprised that they turned out as well as they did, since I used 2% milk, and added an extra tablespoon of butter to make up for it. They were not as light as they looked – I ate three in quick succession and made myself sick! They were good, though, and I think I’ll look for another recipe that might incorporate some extra flavor; more butter, cheese, herbs, fruit. Or maybe eat them with an herb butter or a jam.

No comments: