Sunday, May 27, 2012

Welsh Rabbit

Today, while realizing that I may have failed miserably at making Vietnamese baguettes, I started leafing through the Betty Crocker cookbook to see if there was something I could throw together in the interim. I decided on Welsh Rabbit, since I had all of the ingredients on hand.

Welsh Rabbit

3 tablespoons margarine or butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup milk
½ cup beer or white wine (Beer or wine may be omitted. Increase milk to 1½ cups.)
1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
4 slices toast, cut into triangles

Heat margarine in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in beer. Stir in cheese. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Serve over toast. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
There was a lot of the cheese sauce, probably enough for 5 or 6 slices of toast. I think that if I try it again, I'll use only milk. This time I used white wine, and the alcohol flavor was a little overpowering. Otherwise, it was a pretty decent, and filling, dish. Betty Crocker also says that you can serve it with asparagus, which might be worth a try.

No comments: