Sunday, March 23, 2014

Brown Butter Tilapia

So, I attempted to make this recipe, but with tilapia, tonight.

Brown Butter Perch

Ingredients
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 8 ounces fresh perch fillets
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 lemon, cut in half
Directions
  1. Whisk flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Gently press perch fillets into flour mixture to coat, shaking off any excess flour.
  2. Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat until butter is foaming and nut-brown in color. Working in batches, place filets in skillet and cook until light golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer cooked fillets to a plate, squeeze lemon juice over the top, and serve.
I must say that it turned out okay. I was trying to make several other things at the same time - canned green beans and instant mashed potatoes - so I may have left the butter in the pan for longer than necessary, which may have led to the slightly burned flavor of the fish. I really didn't taste the "brown butter" flavor that I was expecting. And, of course, I omitted the cayenne pepper, for Tom's sake, so that particular flavor was lost. I think I'll try it again sometime, just to make sure that it wasn't the recipe, but me, that made a mess of it.

No comments: