Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Germany Travel Day

I left yesterday and arrived today for a two-week vacation in Germany. The flights went well and were on-time, so I didn't have to rush to get anywhere.

The Baltimore to Atlanta flight on Delta was pretty standard, but once in Atlanta, things got new. I departed from the F terminal (International), and changed carriers to KLM.

The trans-Atlantic flight was really impressive. There were monitors in the headrests of the seats in front of us, with individual remote controls at each seat. We had the choice of watching movies, television, children's programming, and even learning a language. I checked out the German numbers learning part, watched "Catching Fire" again, and spent the rest of the time checking out the flight information. I slept for three of the seven hours of the flight. What was also pretty impressive was the food.

For dinner there was a salad with cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, feta cheese and kalamata olives, an entree with peppered beef and white rice, and a dessert of a carrot crumb cake. A roll with butter, cheese and crackers, as well as a bottle of water were also provided. Breakfast was a cheese omelette with hash browns and turkey sausage, fresh fruit, and yogurt, with a roll and water. Once in Amsterdam, I had to maneuver a whole new airport, and go through Customs.

Then it was on to Munich, where I slept the whole flight, so there's not much to report about that. I arrived safely, claimed my baggage, and found Dad right outside the baggage claim area. Clark joined us shortly afterwards, and we headed to Weiden. It was raining and there was construction, so the autobahn wasn't moving as quickly as I was expecting. I slept in the car part of the way, and when we arrived, Mom had dinner ready (pho). Aside from the inevitable disagreements, I'm excited about this trip!

No comments: