Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Soft PretzelsThey turned out better than I could have hoped for. I left one unstuffed, for Tom, and he really enjoyed it. I also thought they were very good, and can't wait to try another recipe - the next one in the queue is spinach and artichoke dip stuffed pretzels. I can't wait!
Serves: 8 Pretzels
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 cups water
- scant ⅔ cup baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 jalapeño, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion and poppy seed for sprinkling
- In the bottom of a stand mixer, combine water, sugar and salt. Sprinkle yeast over. Let set for 5 minutes until foamy. Add in flour and melted butter. Using the dough hook, mix the dough until combined on a low speed, Increase the speed to medium and mix for five to seven minutes until dough becomes smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Rinse bowl off and then grease with canola oil. Place dough in the bottom and coat with oil. Cover with a towel and place in a warm, draft –free place. Let rise for one hour.
- While the dough rises make filling. In a food processor combine, 6 ounces cheese, cream cheese, jalapeños and garlic powder. Pulse until combined and jalapeños are chopped.
- Once the dough has risen, cut dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll dough into an 18 inch rope. Flatten rope with a rolling pin so that it becomes a very long rectangle. Spread one tablespoon of filling along the middle of the dough. Fold back over and pinch to seal, roll back into a rope. Shape into pretzels.
- Place pretzels in the freeze for five minutes to firm up the cheese filling.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bring a large stock pot to a rolling boil. Add baking soda. Place pretzels one at a time in the water and baking soda mixture. Cook for 45 seconds, flipping halfway through.
- Transfer pretzels to a greased baking sheet. Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl. Brush pretzels with egg wash and then sprinkle with desired topping and remaining shredded cheese. Bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.