Saturday, July 7, 2018

Sour Cucumbers

So, our neighbor, Sally, gave us some vegetables that she had just picked: cucumbers, onions and green peppers. Initially, Tom had turned down the offer of the vegetables, he doesn't care for most of those veggies, anyway, but to be neighborly, I accepted. After some thought, I realized they're just what I need for sour cucumbers, and I could throw the peppers in, too. Now, I've never made them before, so I dug out my mother's/grandmother's recipe and went to work.

Step 1. Slice the cucumbers. Check. I broke out the mandolin, set it to about 1/3 inch, and sliced up the cucumbers and onions. I also seeded the green peppers and cut them into strips. I threw everything into an old Blue Bonnet tub.
Step 2. Salt the cucumbers and let them set for 30 minutes. I salted everything, put the lid on the tub and shook it up, removed the lid, salted everything again, put the lid back on and shook it for a while more. It wasn't 30 minutes, but when everything looked all moist and juicy, I moved on to the next step.
Step 3. Rinse the cucumbers. I opened the tub, ran some water in it and drained it.
Step 4. Add water and vinegar in equal parts to cover cucumbers. I started with one cup of the mixture, but it didn't cover everything, so I added another ½ cup.
Step 5. Add onions. Since the onions (and the peppers) were already in the tub, this step was OBE.
Optional: Season to taste. Grandma likes to add pepper, Mom some sugar. So I added four heaping ¼ teaspoons of sugar substitute. After tasting it, I thought it didn't have the right sweet to sour ratio, so I added another four heaping ¼ teaspoons. I'm not sure how much that equaled, but that's what I did.

Well, I enjoyed it. It turned out well, almost like home-made - wait - it was home-made. What I meant was like Mom makes. It made good use of the vegetables that I was given, and they were a good accompaniment to lunch or dinner, or great just as a snack.

No comments: