Sunday, October 20, 2019

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Today, Tom requested spaghetti for dinner. Halfway through the day, I realized that I didn't have any spaghetti sauce in the house, so, as usual, instead of heading to the store, I checked the Internet for a clone recipe for Ragu spaghetti sauce. I found two that were similar, and ended up splitting the difference, plus made a change to accommodate what I had in the house.

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans tomato soup [½ qt tomato sauce]
  • 1 pound fresh tomatoes, chopped
  • 2½ t sugar
  • 1½ t olive oil
  • 1 T parmesan cheese
  • ½ t dried basil
  • ¼ t dried parsley
  • ¾ t minced garlic
  • 1 pinch black pepper
  • [1 bay leaf]
Directions:
  1. Put everything in a pot and warm over low heat until the sauce has thickened to the desired consistency.
I didn't have any tomato sauce, so I used condensed tomato soup and I forgot to add the bay leaf. Tom thought the sauce was good, but commented on the sweetness. I thought the sauce was just okay, and was too sweet. Since we both had a comment about the overall sweetness of the sauce, I will follow the second recipe and use 1½ t sugar instead of the 2½ t sugar from the first recipe.

No comments: