Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Challah Bread Pudding

I tried out this recipe today, and it turned out well, Challah French Toast Bread Pudding.
Challah French Toast Bread Pudding

Ingredients
  • most of 1 loaf of challah or brioche, most of the crust removed, cut into large cubes (about 1.5″)
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk (or buttermilk is good too)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla, or seeds scraped from one fresh vanilla bean
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar (or honey, or sweetener of your choice)
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Directions
  1. Butter a large casserole and fill with the bread.
  2. Whisk the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and sugar into the eggs.
  3. Pour the custard mixture over the bread and toss.
  4. Refrigerate overnight. This might not be all that necessary, but I haven’t tried skipping it. It would probably be fine.
  5. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Give the bread mixture one more toss with a light touch, trying to “fluff” it up a bit. Bake until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in several spots comes out dry (an internal temperature of about 190°F. is good). This will probably take about 45 minutes.
  6. Optionally sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Maple syrup is good too.
I got the ingredients together last night and refrigerated them, then this morning, I combined the bread and custard for it's "overnight" soak. It was ready for me to bake when I got home from work this evening. I think I baked it for too long (I just put it in the oven for 45 minutes and didn't check on it), since it was a little dry. If I make it again, I think I might add more vanilla or cinnamon, or at least eat it with syrup, to make it taste more french toasty.

No comments: