Thursday, April 26, 2012

Grilled Pork Banh Mi

I found this recipe in this month's Food & Wine magazine, and I was really excited about it. It looked easy, and like it would taste like Mom's cooking. I prepped most of it last night, then packed everything up to take to work today.
Grilled Pork Banh Mi

Ingredients

  • ¼ cup Asian fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 6 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 ½ pounds pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
  • Six 8-inch-long rolls or 2 baguettes, cut into 8-inch lengths and split
  • Hoisin sause and Sriracha chile sauce
  • Vegetable oil, for grilling
  • ½ seedless cucumber, cut into 2-by-½-inch matchsticks
  • 1 ½ loosely packed cups cilantro sprigs
Directions
  1. In a blender, puree the fish sauce with the honey, sugar, pepper, scallions and garlic. Transfer the marinade to a bowl, add the pork and toss. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Thread the pork through the top and bottom of each slice onto 12 bamboo skewers.
  2. Spread the rolls with hoisin and Sriracha. Light a grill and oil the grates. Brush the pork with oil and grill over high heat, turning, until just cooked, 4 minutes. Place 2 skewers in each roll, close and pull out the skewers. Tops with the cucumber and cilantro and serve.
When I got to work tonight, I marinated the meat, put it on skewers, and asked the guys in the kitchen to grill it up for me. Then I shared with my co-workers. I can't tell you how satisfying that was. The flavor was great, the meat stayed tender, and everyone who tried the meat loved it! Except Tom, of course. After trying it, he said I could have the rest. No problem there!

No comments: