Thursday, April 12, 2012

Peach Glazed Ham

Since I had to work on Easter, and wasn't able to cook a family dinner, I thought I'd give this recipe a try for dinner tonight.
Slow Cooker Peach Glazed Ham

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 fully cooked smoked bone-in ham (7 lb)
  • ¾ cup peach preserves
  • ¾ cup packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup Dijon mustard
  • ¼ cup white cranberry and peach juice
  • Fresh peach slices, if desired
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Spray 7-quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray. Remove excess fat from ham. Make cuts about ½ inch apart and ¼ inch deep in diamond pattern around top and sides of ham. Place ham in slow cooker. In small bowl, mix preserves, brown sugar, mustard and cranberry juice until smooth. Spread or brush mixture over ham in slow cooker.
  2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 hours or until meat thermometer reads 140°F. Remove ham from slow cooker; cover with foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
  3. Meanwhile, pour juices from slow cooker into 2-quart saucepan. Heat to simmering; cook until slightly thickened. Serve ham with sauce. Garnish serving platter with peach slices.
Unfortunately, I was on call at the restaurant tonight, and was called in. I asked Tom to turn off the crock pot at 5, but he didn't get around to it until 8, so the meat was a little mushy and fell apart like pulled pork. He really enjoyed the flavor, though. I thought it was a little too sweet for my taste. That could have been from cooking extra long, so if I try this recipe again, I'll make sure it comes out at the right time!

No comments: