Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Last Time They Met

I finished reading another book for the Winter Reading Program. "The Last Time They Met," by Anita Shreve was quite unexpected.

The story was told in three parts, each at a different age in the couple's lives, going backwards. In the first part, the book drove me crazy! The way it was told, I was so confused. Names and scenarios were mentioned without introduction, but would be explained in the next chapter. For instance, a person's name would be mentioned, but who were they? Later you'd find out that person's relationship to the characters. In the second part, some of those questions were answered, and the book started to make sense. In the third part, you learn how they met and started to date each other, and the ending was such a surprise that I had to think about it for a few minutes, then I dropped my jaw on the floor! The writing was super-descriptive, and has inspired me to write. I think I'll try my hand at a few poems.

No comments: