Spinach Artichoke Mac and Cheese Ingredients:I loved it! Tom had one bowl, and decided it wasn't for him. I did omit the sriacha sauce, for Tom's benefit, but it didn't make a difference, it was still delicious for me.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 6-ounce bag fresh spinach
- 1 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, roughly chopped, and divided
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Parmesan Cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced and divided
- 1 12-ounce box whole wheat penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) medium Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Havarti Cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sriacha sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If using fresh spinach, heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat, add spinach and wilt. Remove to plate to cool. Squeeze excess water from spinach. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine half of drained spinach and half of chopped artichoke hearts. Stir in softened cream cheese and ½ cup Parmesan Cheese. Stir in shallots and 1 tablespoon garlic. Pour mixture into oven- safe baking dish and bake for 15 minutes or until the mixture is toasted on top and heated through. Remove from oven; cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. In medium pot, melt butter and whisk in flour. Continue whisking vigorously over medium high heat until roux becomes golden brown. Add milk slowly, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking during each addition. Bring mixture to boil. Add mustard, pepper, 1 tablespoon garlic, remaining cheeses and sriacha sauce. Stir in reserved spinach and artichokes, mixing until evenly incorporated.
- Pour pasta into cheese mixture; mix to ensure all pasta is coated evenly. Plate and top with a generous spoonful of warm spinach and artichoke mixture. Serve and devour.
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Spinach Artichoke Mac and Cheese
I decided to make macaroni and cheese for dinner tonight, and from the selection on Pinterest, this is the one I chose: