Saturday, November 21, 2020

Feathers McGraw Stuffie

Last Christmas I got a great gift
A crochet magazine with a mark on a page
This here
This pattern right here
Can be made for someone special
Special
Did you get what I did there? I hope so, because I think it's clever. So, anyway...
After working on a few craftie type things lately, and being "forced" to go downstairs to my extremely messy crafting area, I decided that it would be a good idea to work on the aforementioned crochet pattern. The magazine was Crochet Now (issue 48) and there was a pattern for Feathers McGraw, a beloved characater from Wallace & Gromit, in it. I went downstairs and dug out the colors of yarn that I needed for the stuffie and started crocheting for the first time in I-don't-know-how-many years.
I've never made anything like this before, so I've been unsure of everything I've done in this project. Getting back into crochet was awkward, especially since the patterrn used UK terms. I pretty much had to re-familiarize myself with everything. But, the body went okay, so my confidence level started out relatively high. The first wing went fine, too, then came the second wing. I ran out of the yarn I had used for the body and first wing, so I switched to a totally different black yarn. After finishing that wing and comparing it to the first wing, I realized there was a problem.

Did you see that? The second wing is on the left. Oh well, my confidence level plummets - I can't do anything about it now. Beak, check. Tummy patch, double check. Legs, feet, sew them together - kind of cute. My attention span is wavering, so I attached the tummy patch to the body. It looks good, so I moved on to the wings. They take a little bit of fanagaling, but the placement looks okay. Attaching the beak and legs comes next. The beak looks a little off-center, par for the course, but I'll think about that later.
I then started work on the glove-hat. It went amazingly well, I thought. Before attaching the glove-hat, I decided to remove the beak, and after placing the eyes, I re-attached the beak. It looked much better the second time, so I moved on to attaching the glove-hat. When it was all done, I think that it looks - okay.

I think that one of my nephew's Christmas gifts is complete - I hope he likes it!

No comments: