Monday, November 9, 2020

Memory Bears

After working for several hours yesterday, and most of the day today, I've finally completed the memory bears that I will be giving my mother and sister for Christmas.

When my Dad died, or maybe right before we decided to put him in hospice, the Hospice lady showed us some brochures and flyers for things we could have done for memories. When Mom saw the Memory Bear flyer, she said she wanted one. I decided then and there that I wanted to make one for her. I didn't get the clothing before I left back in July, but when Tom and I visited a couple of weeks ago, I asked Mom if I could have one of Dad's shirts. She said yes, and gave me two! So, I decided to make a bear for my sister, too.
The process started out over a week ago with finding a pattern that I liked. I combed Pinterest and the internet for a free pattern. That was much more difficult than I'd like to admit. Most of the free patterns had something that I didn't like about them - I just didn't like the way that they looked. And even with the keyword "free" in the search, most of the patterns that I did like cost something. Then, I came across the HowJoyful Bear. It was a free pattern and I was able to locate a couple of helpful videos on YouTube. Win-win!
Next came making a practice bear, great advice from yet another YouTube video, since I've never done anything like this before. I found some scrap fabric, cut out the pattern pieces and started pinning them together. Then, I started sewing. Step 1 - sew the ears. Easy. Step 2 - sew the forehead to the sides of the head, with the ears in place. Okay, not too bad. Wouldn't you know it, I got hung up on the third step?!? That's when I found this video and things got much better and started falling into place. I didn't stuff the practice bear, since I didn't have any stuffing at the time, but I did almost everything else, so, after I was able to get some Poly-fil at Wal-Mart, I felt confident enough to cut into my Dad's old shirts.
I worked on both bears at the same time, cutting, piecing, pinning and sewing, and that worked out pretty well. I didn't follow the step-by-step instructions like I did with the practice bear, I ended up sewing all the smaller pieces together before larger, assembly-type things. I also decided to make a slight addition that I'd read others had made, and I stuffed the ears and tail. That added to the difficulty of assembly, but it was worth it. Attaching the front to the back was the most difficult part, since those pieces don't match up perfectly. I ended up with some pinching (not pretty) and/or ruching (which is okay to look at). Attaching the head to the body was pretty bad, too, and I think the heads are going to fall off if these bears are squeezed too hard or abused in any way. I'm thinking about adding a bow around the neck so that my horrible stitching can be hidden.
All in all, the bears are not perfect, but they were made with love and I hope that they are loved and appreciated.

No comments: