Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crock Pot Success

And for the first time in my disjointed memory, I used my crock pot. Last night, I prepped the food items, and before work this morning I threw everything in and turned it on.

I sliced up some red potatoes, tossed them with canola oil, dried rosemary, salt and pepper, and fried them up in a pan with some butter. For my final trick, I opened up a can of corn and warmed it up on the stove with some butter. Tom said it was a great meal, but I thought it was average - the meat wasn't flavored with enough rosemary and garlic. Maybe because I used dried rosemary, maybe because Tom added water to the crockpot while I was gone, thinking there wasn't enough liquid in the pot. Who knows, but the roast was still tender and flaked apart with a fork.

Slow Cooker Rosemary-Garlic Beef Roast

Prep Time: 20 Min
Total Time: 8 Hr 20 Min
Makes: 12 servings


INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
5- to 6-lb beef boneless sirloin tip roast
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup Progresso® beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton)
3 tablespoons chili sauce
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS:
  • In small bowl, mix oil and Worcestershire sauce; brush over beef roast. Rub roast evenly with garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. In 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, add onion. Pour 1/4 cup of the broth over onion. Place beef roast on onion. Refrigerate remaining broth.
  • Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
  • Remove beef from cooker; cover to keep warm. In small bowl, mix remaining 3/4 cup broth, the chili sauce and flour; stir into hot mixture in cooker. Increase heat setting to High. Cook uncovered 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with beef.


And, yes, due to Tom's tender taste buds, I omitted the chili sauce from the gravy. It still turned out well.

No comments: