Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Viewing and a Funeral

What a crazy couple of days! Yesterday, Tom drove us to Pennsylvania to be with my family for Aunt Ethel's viewing. I can't believe how much I cried, especially when Theresa, a cousin's wife, told me how Aunt Ethel had been planning on having a big Labor Day cookout for the family. Uncle Lyle decided to go through with it, for Aunt Ethel, and after the viewing we all gathered at their house for the cookout. Food, wine, family - you just can't lose there.
The next day was the funeral. I bawled like a baby. After the interment, my immediate family went to the house that my parents are planning to retire to, my grandparent's old house. Then to the wake. The ladies of the First Reformed Church of Christ outdid themselves with the luncheon. Then Tom drove us home.
It was a whirlwind of activity, and I'm very glad that I went.

No comments: