Sunday, February 23, 2014

Chicken with Cashew Nuts

Okay. So, tonight, for dinner, I came up with this really great idea. Tom was going to thaw out chicken, Dad had just e-mailed me a recipe for pork with cashews, and the last time Tom and I went out for Chinese, he ordered cashew chicken. So, I was going to make chicken with cashews.

Leg of pork with cashew nuts

You will need
  • 5 oz. leg of pork
  • little boiled carrot
  • 1 oz. bamboo shoots
  • little chestnut
  • 1/4 onion
  • 1 oz. broccoli
  • 1/4 pint roasted cashew nuts
  • 5 teaspoons sherry
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
  • 1 teaspoon cornflour
  • 4 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  1. Dice pork, carrot, bamboo shoots, chestnut and onion. Cut broccoli into suitable pieces. (If cashew nuts are not roasted, you must fry them first in oil until brown, then drain and keep crisp.) Add 5 tablespoon sherry, salt, pepper, 1/4 teaspoon monosodium glutamate and cornflour to the meat and mix well. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan and fry the meat until it is cooked and looks white in colour. Remove from the pan.
  2. Add another 2 tablespoons oil to the pan, add carrot, bamboo shoots, chestnut, broccoli and onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the pork, soy sauce, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon monosodium glutamate. Stir all well together for 1 minute. Remove to a heated dish, sprinkle with cashew nuts and serve hot.
So, of course, I made some changes to the recipe you see here. Me, personally, I don't care for bamboo shoots or water chestnuts, so I omitted them. Tom hates onions, so I took them out, too. I used two chicken breasts, which is probably twice the amount of meat that is required in the recipe, and enough broccoli to make up for the lack of bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.
Tom really liked it. You cannot believe how happy I am that he liked it! Woo hoo!

No comments: