Broccoli Cheese Soup with Cheddar BobbersNow, it was super thick. Was it the 2% milk I used instead of whole milk? Maybe is was the extra 1/4-1/2 cup of half-and-half I threw in, just because it was in the refrigerator. Since I didn't make the biscuits, I'm not sure how much cheese I used, but I used whatever was left over from the chili cook-off - maybe 3/4-1 cup total of cheddar and a Mexican blend. Or maybe it was the 16 ouce bag of broccoli I used, since I couldn't find a 12 ounce bag. Regardless, it was tasty. Even Tom thought so, and he knew about the onions!
- 1 can (10.2 oz) Pillsbury™ Grands!™ refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (5 biscuits)
- 2 cups shredded medium Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups diced onions (2 large)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 bag (12 oz) Green Giant™ Steamers™ frozen chopped broccoli
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line large cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper. Separate dough into 5 biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 2 layers, then press each to form 4-inch round.
- For each bobber, place 1 tablespoon cheese in center of 1 round. Pull up dough around cheese, and pinch to seal. Place bobbers seam side up 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Slowly stream in milk, stirring constantly. Heat to simmering; reduce heat and cook 5 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until milk has thickened.
- Turn off heat; add remaining cheese. Stir to melt cheese.
- Meanwhile, make broccoli as directed on bag. Stir broccoli into soup. Divide soup among 4 large bowls. Serve each with 2 or 3 bobbers.