Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Country Fried Pork with White Gravy

I saw that I had pork chops in the freezer, so I found a recipe for Country Fried Pork with White Gravy to try out for dinner tonight.

Country Fried Pork with White Gravy

Ingredients:
For pork:
  • 2-3lbs thin pork chops or cubed tenderloin
  • 2 eggs
  • 2-3 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • canola oil
  • cayenne pepper, to taste preference
  • salt/pepper, to taste preference
For gravy:
  • 4 TBSP butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • salt/pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Set up two pie plates or flat baking dishes. In one, mix eggs with milk. In second, mix flour, cayenne pepper and salt/pepper.
  2. Take each piece of meat, salt and pepper each side.
  3. Dip each piece of meat into egg mixture, flour mixture, then, egg mixture and flour mixture again.
  4. Set aside.
  5. Heat canola oil in a large skillet.
  6. Once oil is ready, cook each piece of meat 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through.
  7. Drain meat on paper towel while you make gravy.
  8. For gravy: Over medium heat, cook butter, flour, salt/pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook for approx 3-5 minutes. Slowly, add in milk and whisk out lumps. Continue cooking until thick. About 10-12 minutes.
Because I wasn't sure if the cayenne pepper would make it too spicy for Tom, I used the recipe for breading Oven-Fried Chicken, and reserved 1/4 cup of that mixture for the gravy. Tom and I both liked it. I think I may have finally found a way to get him to eat pork!

No comments: