Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ham and Lentil Stew

Woo-hoo! Go Ravens!

The Ravens are now Har-Bowl bound, and I couldn't be more excited! Now, the question is, will they bring the Band, or even the Pep Band, to New Orleans? In my dreams!
I had this evening off, and was able to watch the game from the comfort of my home. I prepped tonight's dinner last night, and Tom started it in the crock pot this morning.

Ham and Lentil Stew

Ingredients
  • 3 cups diced cooked ham
  • 2 cups chopped celery
  • 2 cups chopped carrot
  • 2 cups dried lentils, sorted, rinsed
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 6 1/2 cups Progresso chicken broth (from two 32-oz cartons)
Directions
  1. Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix all ingredients.
  2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 9 hours.
I think it turned out well, but seemed to be missing something. Maybe salt? But it should be salty enough with the ham, right? And there were seasonings in the chicken broth, so I'm not sure. The lentils had a little hardness to them, also, which I wasn't expecting since I've never had them before. I was expecting a softer bean texture, but got a harder one. Tom liked it, too. He said it was a good, comforting soup, and we both liked the flavor.

No comments: