Thursday, February 28, 2013

What a Day

I had a really crazy day today! First off, I gave a presentation at work for our Safety meeting. I was really nervous, but afterwards, I was told by several people that I did well, and that the presentation was good. Whew!
After work, I dropped by the library to sign up for the Winter Reading Program, since I had recently finished reading five books for the year. As it happens, they gave out their last mug (the reward for completing the program) yesterday.

They did give me two pens, though (you usually get one when you sign up).

Then, I was off to the grocery store to get dinner for tonight. I made a family recipe for meatloaf, Betty Crocker's scalloped potatoes, and crispy oven-fried chicken.

Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken

  • 2 cups corn flakes cereal, crushed to 1 cup
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
  • 3 to 3 1/2 lb cut-up whole chicken, skin removed
  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray rack in broiler pan with cooking spray.
  2. In shallow bowl, place crushed cereal. In another shallow bowl, beat remaining ingredients except chicken with fork until well blended. Dip chicken pieces into egg white mixture; coat with cereal. Place on rack in broiler pan.
  3. Bake about 45 minutes or until thermometer inserted in center of breast reads 170°F and in center of thighs, legs and wings reads 180°F.
The recipe came from Pillsbury.com, and I was kind to Tom and omitted the spices I knew he wouldn't like and added ones I knew he did like. He said he would have liked to see the corn flakes pulverized a little more, so next time I think I'll use Panko bread crumbs. The flavor was good enough, but it needed longer in the oven.
I was also able to finish up this scarf that I started last night.

It's made with Red Heart's Boutique Sashy Twist.

No comments: