Honey-Bourbon Pecan PieI've never made pecan pie before, so I hope it turned out well. It certainly looks good.
For the malted mocha variation:
- 1 1 /2 cups lightly chopped pecans
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Southern Comfort or bourbon OR the malted mocha variation (see below)
- 1 prepared deep-dish pie crust (store bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup Ovaltine
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 3/4 cup (4 ounces) chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, brown sugar, salt, vanilla and eggs. Whisk in the melted butter, then either the liquor or the malted mocha variation (see below). Place the pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread the pecans in an even layer in the crust, then pour the honey mixture over them. Bake for 50 minutes, or until it no longer jiggles at the center.
- For the malted mocha variation, stir together the Ovaltine, instant coffee and the coffee liqueur. Use this mixture in place of the Southern Comfort. Add the bittersweet chocolate to the crust at the same time as the pecans before pouring in the honey mixture.
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Honey-Bourbon Pecan Pie
Wanda sent me a recipe for Honey-Bourbon Pecan Pie, so I decided on a whim to make it for the Holiday luncheon on Thursday.