Monday, December 30, 2013

Navy Bean and Ham Soup

After the holidays, I've been trying my darndest to use up the leftovers, mainly the ham. Ham and cheese omelets and ham fried rice (also using up leftover rice) were just the beginning. I need to make sandwiches, too, but in today's exploits, I made a Ham and Bean Soup. When I first broached the subject with Tom, he said only if I make it the exact same way his mother used to make it - just beans and ham. I looked through her recipe box and found no reference to that soup. I finally decided to modify this recipe, and here's what I came up with.
Slow-Cooker Navy Bean and Ham Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 lb leftover ham, cut into cubes
  • 1 16-oz bag of dried navy beans, rinsed and sorted
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 heaping spoonfuls of finely chopped onions
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/4 t dried thyme
Directions
  1. In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients.
  2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 10 to 12 hours or until beans are tender.
I cooked it on High heat, since I got a late start this morning, and intended for it to cook for 5-6 hours. Because of the late start, I had to go to work, and Tom let it cook for two extra hours (gasp!). By then, he reported that all of the water was gone and the beans were mushy and pasty. He tried it, regardless, adding equals parts water to "soup," and said it was "freaking awesome!" He liked it, he liked it!

No comments: