Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Buttery Onion Soup

So, I didn't feel like cooking a full fledge dinner tonight, because we had plenty of leftovers from the last few nights, so I decided to make something just for me - Buttery Onion Soup.

Buttery Onion Soup

Ingredients
  • 2 cups thinly sliced onions
  • ½ cup butter, cubed
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1½ - 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Croutons, optional
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, cook onions in butter over low heat until tender and transparent, about 20 minutes.
  2. Stir in flour. Gradually add broth and milk; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute longer; reduce heat to low. Add mozzarella cheese and stir constantly until melted (do not boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with croutons if desired.
This recipe was "soup"er easy to make - but I found it to be a little bland. My mandolin setting for the onions was about 1/8 inch, but that must not have been thin enough, because the onions were still crunchy in the end. I think I'll make it again, but I'll use beef stock, work on the seasonings and either cut the onions thinner or cook them longer.

No comments: