Thursday, May 21, 2020

Easy Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles

The dinner rotation for today was seafood, and when I mentioned that Tuna Casserole was an option, Tom jumped right on it. I haven't made that dish in a while, since I would usually make Tuna Helper, and I can't seem to find my favorite variety, Tuna Creamy Pasta, at my local Wal-Mart or grocery store. After a search on the Internet for a recipe that seemed like it might be close to what I wanted, I chose the Easy Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles.

Easy Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles

Ingredients
  • 2 cups dry egg noodles, cooked to al dente and drained
  • 1 (12-oz.) can Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light tuna in water, drained
  • 1 (15-oz.) can Green Giant Low Sodium peas, drained
  • 1 (10.5-oz.) can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted (plus extra for greasing dish)
  • 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
  • salt & pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. While the oven is preheating, boil 2 cups of dry egg noodles to al dente according to the package instructions. Grease a 1.5-quart baking dish and set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cooked egg noodles, soup, milk, peas, and tuna. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
  3. Stir the breadcrumbs and melted butter together in a small bowl. Set aside.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the casserole, sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top, and bake for another 5 minutes or until the breadcrumb mixture is golden brown and the tuna casserole is hot and bubbling. Season with salt and pepper to taste when serving.
So, I added a stalk of celery and a little onion (shh, don't tell Tom) because of some of the reviews. Tom loved it, I thought there was an odd flavor. I think it came from the peas. They were frozen and really, really, really old. Tom definitely wants me to make it again some time, so I'll get to try it again with fresher peas.

No comments: