Sunday, July 11, 2010

Heartwarming

At work today, I witnessed something so sweet that I wanted to cry. I was waiting on a table, a lady, perhaps in her 50's, and an older gentleman with big glasses and curved-over back. He went to the restroom and stopped at the hostess stand to tell the hostess that he had a harmonica, and it was his daughter's birthday, so if we could bring out a muffin with a candle, he'd play his harmonica. At first I thought it was a little cheesy, but when I brought the dessert tray out at the end of their meal, to show them what we had to offer, he seemed so excited! As I approached the table with the dessert with a candle in it, I noticed his hand was ready, resting on the harmonica hidden in his bag. When I put the dessert in front of the lady, he pulled out the harmonica and started playing Happy Birthday, then continued on into For He's a Jolly Good Fellow. His music wasn't loud, but in that area of the restaurant, which was loud from conversations and the regular clatter of restaurant activities, people heard it and applauded at the end of each song. I was so touched, and I feel proud to have been a part of making that experience special for them.