Slow baked potatoes and chicken skilletIt turned out well. I ended up making two pans full, one with onions and garlic for me, one without those items for Tom. He enjoyed his, and I liked mine, but I didn't like it enough to make it again. Sorry, Roxanne!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lb potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4-6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 thick cut bacon slices, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 300F. Grease an 11" cast iron skillet with olive oil. Set aside.
- Scrub the potatoes. I love keeping the skin on but if that’s not your thing, you can peel them.
- Using a mandoline, a food processor or a very sharp knife , thinly slice the potatoes and onions. Mince the garlic and finely chop the thyme and rosemary.
- In a large bowl combine the sliced potatoes, onions, minced garlic, fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper and arrange layers of the potatoes in the prepared skillet.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on top of the potatoes and finish with pieces of roughly chopped bacon.
- Pour the chicken stock in the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in the heated oven. Bake for 2 hours without opening the oven.
- After two hours, open the oven and remove the aluminum foil.
- Turn he broiler on and cook for few more minutes until the potatoes slices and chicken get a little brown color.
- Turn the oven off and serve warm.