Monday, December 22, 2008

Huber Cookie Day 2008

Today was Christmas Cookie Day at Huber. Last night, I stayed up until after midnight finishing up two batches of cookies to bring to work. Wouldn't you know it, when I got to work, I found out that I was the only one who brought cookies! I feel kind of sad that the holiday spirit didn't carry on through this week, and the only reason why I didn't take one of my remaining vacation days today was exclusively because it was Cookie Day. But, on the good side, and there almost always is a good side, all of my cookies were eaten. I'm sorry that I didn't have enough left over to bring to work at Tidewater this evening, but I'm glad that people enjoyed the cookies enough to eat them up. I brought Cinnamon Crisps and Eggnog Cookies. I found the Cinnamon Crisp recipe on the label of a really old can of evaporated milk that I found in my pantry during the Thanksgiving holiday, and Tom really enjoyed them. The Eggnog Cookie recipe I got from Heather Ales' blog. These also got a thumbs up from Tom, but he said they were rich, meaning he couldn't pig out on them.

Cinnamon Crisps

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup PET Evaporated Milk
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 375 F. In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1/2 of the flour mixture then the evaporated milk and then the remaining flour mixture; mix after each addition. Form rounded teaspoons of dough into a ball and roll in sugar. Place on greased baking sheets then flatten into a 1/8-inch thick circle. Bake for 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 1/2 dozen.

Eggnog Cookies

1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup eggnog
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cream sugar and butter until light. Add eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks; beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined. Do not over mix. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto un-greased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake 15 to 17 minutes until bottoms turn light brown.

No comments: