Thursday, June 25, 2009

Huber Safety Day 2009

Huber's Safety Day this year had a theme of "Going Green." The most exciting part of this day, was the Recycled Art Contest. I asked for help from the bartenders at the Tidewater, and they saved me bottle caps from the beers that we sold for over a month. Next, I had to decide what to do with them. A picture of some sort seemed like the best route to go - inspired by the old Martha Stewart commercial where she's tiling the bottom of her pool with cut up credit cards - in the image of "The Birth of Venus." At first, I considered trying "Starry Night," but that seemed too complicated, and I went with a design of my own - and underwater scene with fish and plant life. I thought it had turned out well, until I saw what other people had done.

My Recycled Art Project
The Art Contest

Amy's Project - Blue Jean Bear and Beach Bag

Contest Winner - Tony Parks

I don't feel too bad, though, Tony has a shop and sells artwork like this for around $250. Apparently, he says he only works at Huber because you can't make a living as an artist. Competing with a professional is hard, and I wasn't expecting this level of competition - but it was still fun, and I'm still proud of my little piece of recycled art.

No comments: